Patrick, what replies have said about the PACT is true, and I suspect
you knew already. They will try to pay only for the exceptional
things- ie those bits that the company would not supply already. If a
company uses PCs and a staff member loses their sight, the PACT will
pay for the intervention stuff arguing that the basic system would
have been supplied anyway. They may also pay for its upgrade if that
can be shown to be necessary.

A more radical approach might be to talk to Ian Hutt, in
Opportunities next door. He manages the local Sheltered Placement
Scheme by which people can go on being employed on a declining % of a
full load with the Govt. topping up the income. Thus, if someone
earns 10k pa but can deliver only 40% of the job, the company pays 4k
and the govt pays the rest. It is a bit more complicated than that,
especially when salaries are relatively high and there are not
unlimited places, but Ian would be worth talking to.

Hi number is 580 7545, tell him I sent you. It could take pressure
off the staff member while allowing him to gradually ease himself
into retirement, and also save the university from having to make the
hard and final decision.

Dave