Steve,

RE:  your comments regarding the CanDo web site.

I'm sorry that you have had problems using the Web site.  We have made
strenuous efforts to ensure that our site is as accessible as possible
to ALL users regardless of their disability (sometimes it is difficult
to reconcile the needs of different users with different disabilities).
We are aware, though, that there are still parts of the system that are
causing problems for users of some adaptive technology.  We _are_
working on this, and in fact just this week completed a study on
accessible Web design.

Last year, CanDo put considerable effort into investigating the
information and advice about designing accessible web sites before
providing the design brief to the software developers who developed the
existing software.  They are currently working on the second phase of
the development and are correcting some of the mistakes in the initial
version.

We believe that the main problems currently stem from the use of frames,
which while much more appealing to visual users are less useful for
visually impaired users.  A non-frames version is provided as an
alternative that mimics the frames site, although navigation is slightly
more awkward.  The CanDo site has been designed to be simple to navigate
(although currently slightly more problematic without frames), with
minimal unnecessary graphics.  What graphics are provided should all
have appropriate descriptive alt tags.

In the future, I would appreciate hearing directly about any specific
constructive criticisms that you have, so that we can address the
particular issues concerned.  In the meantime, the disability statements
continue to be a popular part of the Web site, some having been read by
over 150 users within the first two weeks of going live.

David Filmer
Research & Development Officer
CanDo Service
Lancaster University