Right, I hope everybody is ready for this.

The offices I consulted were all very well aware that this was a full
time course and that the lectures were only a part of the course.  In
view of my anxieties this matter has been checked and double checked
before they rang me back to tell me the final decision.

Apparently the number of hours is now totally irrelvant, because of
the introduction of "new rules".  [I made notes of the conversation
as it was going along.  Anything in quote marks is a direct quote.]
Nothing is now "black and white."    "Everybody is looked at
individually."   "It is okay to carry on the course, no matter how
many hours."  But, and this is of course a very big but, the student
will be referred for a medical examination.  Any future payments will
be dependent on the result of that examination.

I was told that this will be the normal procedure for any student
from now on, and altho' I did not ask I formed the impression all
students will now be asked to have a medical examination and not just
those in this area.

I again asked for this in writing, my great fear being that the
student is given monies he will later be asked to repay.  I was told
that if an error has been made and the payments are later adjusted
then the student will not have to repay anything as it is their
error.

They really do have all the information, they understand that there
is work other than the lectures, they have checked with other offices
and the payment is being made.

I expect everybody knows this part as well, but just in case someone
does not ---     The mobility allowance is not counted in any
calculations of an LEA grant.  As from 1st September incapacity
benefits will also not be included in the calculation.

I will let you know the end result, but at the moment it seems that
full benefits will continue to be paid while the student is doing a
full-time degree.

Anne-Denise.