From:          MARTIN LARMOUR <[log in to unmask]>
To:            Mary Norowzian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:          Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:50:06 +0100
Subject:       Re: evacuation arrangements

I forwarded the input from James Holmes-Siedle to our University
Safety officer. I am now passing on  his comments.

The discussion is helping to focus ont the issue so many thanks,

Mary Norowzian
Kingston University
Mary,
Thanks for the note, please find my reply. Feel free to paste it into
your discussion group.

Martin.

james Holmes-Siedle wrote:

The management (Health and Safety)
> should also sign each scenarion and state that they are happy with the
> arrangements - especially important is dispelling the myth that security is
> going to enter a building in a state of alarm, or worse still, on fire -
> they won't.

With respect, we have very large buildings and our security people
will often enter a building with the alarm going off for a mixture of
reasons. There is no myth to this, this is working procedure. This
works with the full approval of local fire brigade.

> Are of Refuge
> These MUST be designed to BS5588 part 8 and then the discussion about pagers
> becomes irrelevant because a proper refuge will have communications
> facilities built in - from the simple push switch to two way speech - this
> being preferred.

I would suggest he is  mistaken.  BS5588 part 8 says nothing about
built-in communications facilities for refuges, and I am taken aback
that he is suggesting c.one thousand pounds to set one up.

Section Four of the BS (Construction and Fire Warning Systems)
effectively recommends half hour fire doors (FD30s) except lift
landing doors which should be  FD30 doors, ensuring that doors have a
self closing device (but not one with a stand-open action). It goes
on to qualify the sorts of doors and hinges,handles etc etc ie. lift landing doors to
evacuation lifts should be automatic.

At best, the BS appears to suggest that there might be a two stage
alarm ie.one with an alert signal giving disabled people an
opportunity to move before the congestion likely to arise in a
general evacuation but it is very loose on this. Since I haven't
been party to the wider conversation, forgive me if the following has
already been pointed out. I would refer you to IP16/91 the BRE
Information Paper "Assisted means of escape of disabled people from
fires in tall buildings"(GME Cooke) who identifies the principles
undelying BS5588 (8). These are Hazard, Refuge, Vertical means of
Escape and Place of Safety. Cooke clearly states that the refuge
should be separated from a fire by fire-resisting construction having
at least 30 minutes of fire resistance. Refuge doors should  limit the
passage of smoke, using for instnace, flexible edge seals.  The
refuge should be capable of accomodating at least one
wheelchair-bound person and should be placed next to an escape
stairway or an evacuation lift. The refuge can be one of the
following.
 i) Either of two compartments created by a fire
resisting separation, each of which is a refuge from fire in the
other.

ii) A landing of a protected stairway large enough to accomodate a
parked wheelchair without obstructing  the stairway.

iii) A protected lobby to a protected stairway having landings too
small to accomodate awheelchair without causing obstruction.

iv) A protected lobby to a protected evacuation lift in which the
protected lobby is capable of accommodating at least one wheelchair.

Please note the lack of reference to communications systems or other
bells and whistles. However nos. (ii) and (iii) are the options we
plump for.
The BS does extend the options on lifts - but these are not to be
confused with refuges.
Several other points in passing.

Where would a two way system go to if the
building is entirely evacuated ?

All mobile people, of whatever disability should evacuate the
building, not sit in refuges. Mobility impaired people alone should
use refuges in conjunction with clearly understood procedures.

Regards,

MJL.