A central clearing house in probably not a good idea. However, a central
'accessibility' standard for software/hardware would be extremely useful. As
with the 'designed for windows 95/NT' logo (which requires accessibility to
some degree anyway) I think a little EEC 'star' on packages or equipment
which have been tested and found to be accessible either as is or with known
enabling technology strategies [where a central information line would be
given for people to find out more] would be extremely useful, and maybe
could eventually be required by law. This seems to be happening in the US.

We then wouldn't face the situation where a student gets half way through
the course only to suddenly have to use a totally inaccessible piece of
software which wasn't previously mentioned, with the effect that the student
either has to use an alternative package which the tutor isn't familiar
with, is bluffed through the course unit because no-one can figure out a way
around the problem or just drops out or swaps to a course they never even
wanted to do.

In the meantime maybe we could all put pressure on our institutions to only
implement new packages or hardware after we have had chance to test them for
accessibility, whether they are to be used by students with disabilities or
not.

Ian Francis