Peter,

> Would any one know how to set up a PC to act as a minicom -
whether this can be done with the facilities of Win'95 or if special
software is required and if so where to obtain it.

I've never tried this myself and I've had conflicting reports as to
whether it is possible at all. If it is a basic terminal package
should work. Below is a newsgroup message and an extract from a web
document relating to the subject. I will email the whole web document
to you direct.

I believe the modem will need to support very old standards.

Newsgroup article:

From: [log in to unmask] (Andy Mell) Newsgroups: uk.people.deaf
Subject: Re: Minicom Date: 4 Apr 1996 23:54:06 GMT Organization:
University of Cambridge, England Lines: 14 Message-ID:

Mark Harper ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> I don't remember the settings offhand, but basically take your
> generic : comms software, set it to the default V21 setting, enter
> the phone number : of the Minicom user and dial. If it doesn't work,
> play around with the : number of data-bits (7 or 8), start and stop
> bits (0, 1 or 2) and parity : (none, odd or even). The most likely
>combination, I'd guess, is 8 : data-bits, no start or stop bits and
> no parity.

8 bit no parity, 1 stop bit is what should work. I would be very
surprised if a terminal package allowed you to set no stop bits for an
8 bit no parity connection.

Andy

Extract from Web document:

Great Britain

Contributed by Andrew Cowie at 1 Dec 93.

Preferred standard : - CCITT V.21 300bps 8N1
Also in use        : - Baudot 45.45bps
                   : - CCITT V.23 1200/75bps (relay centre use only)

Notes:

Most TTYs in use in the UK are imported Ultratec products, which offer
CCITT V.21 @ 300 bps (NB! NOT Bell 103!), and the usual Baudo
45.45bps, and some but not all models offer autoswitching between
Baudot and CCITT.

Some textphones in use in the UK are V.21 Only (eg the ex-British
Telecom QwertyPhone).

Some machines are in use in the UK as textphones which offer only V.23
mode 2, 1200/75 receive/transmit bps. These are a hangover from
experiments many years ago with the UK Viewdata service "Prestel".
They can now only be used to contact the National Relay Service
("Typetalk"), and new purchase of such machines is discouraged.

The UK relay is currently CCITT V.21, V.22, and V.23 compatible only.
No Baudot.

Regards

Paul Dilley, Technical Manager
Computer Centre for People with Disabilities, University of Westminster
** The London & South East Regional Access Centre **

Tel: +44 171 911 5000 Fax: +44 171 911 5162 http://www.wmin.ac.uk/ccpd/