This query is addressed to disability officers in Medical schools,
but advice/ replies/ shared info from any source  welcome, naturally.

I have had a query re extra time for timed clinical assessments,
Objective Structured Clinical  Examinations, and how this should be
administered in the case of dyslexic students.
The students take part (in small groups)  in a series of simulated clinical
examinations.  They are shown a slide, x-ray, or photograph are given
an oral question and must write down the answer, all within the space
of 4.5 minutes.  When the time is up a pre-set bell rings and they
must rush off to the next 'station', their places being taken by the
next group of medics.  Each student has to complete 12 of these
clinical assessments.  This exercise constitutes an important of
the set of examinations -50%- and all students are probably under
more pressure than in written examinations. Obviously it is important
that dyslexic students are allowed extra time.  What we are
suggesting is that a dyslexic student be timetabled at the end of a
session and in a group of 1.  Also does a strict pro rata division of
the time allowance work fairly in this situation?
I should be interested to hear how other medical schools organise
this.

Kate Dresser
Dyslexia Resource Centre