> Date:          Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:21:25 +0000
> From:          [log in to unmask]
> To:            [log in to unmask]
> Cc:            [log in to unmask]
> Subject:       RE: Re: Lewisham LEA and DSAs

> I am amused by some of the comments people are making about LEAs.  I agree they
> are difficult to work with sometimes, but we do share a common interest even in
> we approach it from different directions.  Perhaps we should consider talking
> to them more, invite them to SKILL HE meetings - like the North West Group do,
> go and visit them and find out more about their "criteria" - on doing this I
> was surprised how isolated Awards Officers can be, and don't assume that they
> are not members of disforum!  Comments like "partial victory" only serve to
> create a bigger gulf between us.
>
> Ed Barker, Senior Student Adviser "Learning Support"
> Anglia Polytechnic University
> Cambridge

We attended a meeting last year with the Devon psychologists and
received a veritable grilling concerning our criteria, our testing
and our procedures mostly in relation to dyslexic students.  Devon
now use us for all their DSA assessments for all students with
disabilities and we use this relationship to improve the service for
our own students and, through the advice we give, for those at other
institutions too.  It is a slow and laborious job!

I therefore have sympathy with the view that Ed Barker expresses but also
identify very closely with the frustration behind earlier comments.
I am not sure that all LEAs do 'share a common interest' with us!  At
least not all of the time.

Alison Courtney

Alison Courtney
South West Regional Access Centre