At 15:45 04-12-97 +0100, you wrote:
>[log in to unmask] wrote:

>> Then let me express my public support. Especially on this ``last bit'':
>> adults can program safely, and decide by themselves which constraint
>> is useful and when.

This discussion is going to look like de historical development
of plutocracy, democracy, anarchy, dictatorship, ...

I tend to the feeling that in today's society (programmers' society that is)
a (not too) restrictive legislation is a good thing.

>Being adult has as much to do with the subject at hand as being
>adulterous. Since when the adult people don't make mistakes? Any
>new definitions of being adult out there that I don't know of?
>
>It's too late now to make IMPLICIT NONE a language default. Just as
>it is too late to make PRIVATE the default for modules. But what
>might help to resolve this dispute and keeping the opponents at least
>half-happy would be some work on standardizing Fortran compilation
>environment (or whatever you'd like to call it). What about adding
>compiler command line options for things like
>- compulsory array bounds runtime checking,
>- treating implicit none as the default (or, indeed, the only
>  allowed state),
>- making PRIVATE the default in modules,
>- possibly many more features.
>
>Of course, the compilation environmentmeans much more than compiler
>command line options, but that discussion has no place in this thread.
>
>Regards,
>Artur Swietanowski                mailto:[log in to unmask]

---
Best Greetings,

Jan van Oosterwijk
Computing Centre