Dear listees, thought I'd pass this on, for the benefit of those who aren't
on the Buffalo Poetics list, where it appeared:

Date:    Wed, 12 Nov 1997 21:36:56 -0800
From:    Marjorie Perloff <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: James Laughlin

One of the great literary men/women of our time died today:  James
Laughlin.  Many on this list whose work he published and who cherished his
own poetry, memoirs, and essays, this is a sad, sad, day.

I'm in Indiana doing a residency (Patten Lectures) and can't write at
normal speed, but I'm sure there will be more material coming in from
Eliot Weinberger or Jerome Rothenberg etc. etc.  I just wanted people to
know.

Marjorie Perloff

And for those who don't know, Laughlin was the founder and guiding spirit
of New Directions Books, as well as being a fine poet himself. I think I
may have mentioned to some of you that when I met him in New York in 1986,
on hearing I'd just done a reading with Charles Bernstein at the Ear Inn,
he asked me: "So are you a Language poet, then?" "Well, I use language," I
mumbled in nervous reply. "That's no answer," he chided me.

Ken