I agree with much of what Ira says, but can I just demur at the description
"Uncle Toms" for poets who now have academic jobs. Charles Bernstein, for
one, has done a great deal to promote radical poetries and younger poets
since his appointment as professor at SUNY Buffalo, and his own writing
remains challenging and thought-provoking. Bob Perelman has attracted
criticism for his book _The Marginalisation of Poetry_, which I look
forward to reading (and to hear him speak/read at the Serpentine Gallery
Bookshop, 54 Warren St, London on 5 Dec), but his integrity is
unquestionable for me.

I trust there are plenty of similar "Uncle Toms" lurking on this list who
agree with me!

The comparison with Microsoft also strikes me as a bit glib. Certainly the
langpo poets have been at ease with the notion of well-printed and designed
books and have co-operated in self-help efforts to get them distributed
widely. They have not been contact merely to moan about their own
marginalisation or to strike attitudes of radical piety. Good for them.