Ken Edwards wrote:

<<As though no change effected by people
could ever be positive, because the popular will is contaminated.>>

No I dont think that at all and i have no time for a rousseauesque idea
like popular will - nor do i
fancy his idea of a secular religion which some correspondents wld seem to
want

<<The end
of Marxist/Leninism may have brought evils such as consumerism and mafia
activity to the former eastern bloc countries, but I bet most folks are
glad to see the back of it nevertheless.>>

quite possibly; over here they voted repeatedly for the conservatives

all i was doing, Ken, was expressing disbelief, non combatancy etc about
another icon, the fallen Berlin Wall when i saw it being waved

There are fewer and fewer places where they mourn the system you call
Marxism Leninism and they are I suspect fairly sad cases. Even in places
like... for example Osijek in Croatia or - is it called? - Groszny, smashed
to pieces when all the taut / taught stresses were released... no one is
going to want to go back... what i do want to do is remember the deep
complexity of things and try to avoid both simplistic responses. If we
throw out ML, *presumably* we throw out Marx and his take on Hegel and the
left Hegelians etc... or any of the rigged interpretations of history and
things arent necessarily getting better

Long term they may be worse

Here we are in the third millennium and the big J hasnt come back and I
still can't find a paddle

Lawrence