Fiona -

	having thought over and re-imagined your performance RECOGNITION
(and, charged with its undissipating energy), I feel as if several remarks
are incited; I hope you don't object to my quick broadcast...I was
thoroughly engaged by the performance, at a level of appeal quite
strikingly additional to the impressiveness of its visual and vocal
disjunctions (themselves striking).  Hearing (and seeing) this text
performed was for me a genuinely new auditorship, one in which the
immediacy and vigour of the performance's interrogations - of the
viabilities of attributed dialogues, of self-positioning in elegy, of time
lapses and lags and of sexual care (to name but a few) - were neither
diminished nor arrested by their distance as prepared spectacles.
Potentially enervating aspects of dramatization were rewritten, into the
actions and words, so that the inevitable asymmetry of a monologue before
a full theatre became crucial to the text's coherence: Fiona would
suddenly address the crowd (whose members also included a randomly
selected, on-stage 'jury') directly, explaining with all the hesitancy of
an unpracticed announcer, what she was to attempt next, or why she had
made a decision and how that decision might affect the progress of the
performance.  These moments of seeming discovery, or relinquishment of
persona (not that any one persona was maintained), constituted
rather than transcended the limits of fictitiousness, co-ordinating a
resemblance between the grieving performer and the assembled watchers
that disintegrated at the next turn, leaving both her and us in the
distress of suddenly not sharing an unsharable distress.  The point
quickly yet subtly became immanent in the performance, recurring in
each tender or manic gesture: that a communicated distress is unimaginable
(in the old Coleridgean sense) in the minds both of auditor and
communicator, or that the communicative affect of distress is an
auto-affect, that is to say, distress distresses radically its own
communicability. So there was the dying man on a video screen, speaking
somebody else's words in testimony to his own expiring ability to speak
for himself - the distressed man himself the least directly expressive, as
if the inevitable efficacy of his real life situation as a feature
of a dramatic performance (the unavoidable sympathy aroused) must be
countered, or partially repressed by his non-authorship of the gift that,
dying, he gives to us.  This partial repression seems commensurate
in rejecting the more readily available resources of pathos; the anxiety
to -demand- recognition of pain, from herself, from the unnourishable
man-turned-prop she has directed and rewound to the appropriate moment,
from us as audience, is assuaged and replaced by the intelligence of how
that pain distresses its own publicity, and how that intelligence itself
can be meaningfully described and so in part repudiated.

This is the most misrepresentatively brief of responses, but  - I hope
- throws a few impressions abroad and may inspire people to have a look at
Fiona's work.  HI COWBOY, which I'm reading now, is also very interesting.
						x, Keston.

(feel free to dismiss these glances, Fiona)