helen frances
>difference between "understanding contemporary poetry" and the experience
(if I may use the word largely) of
reading poems.

is this the difference between knowing a thing and understanding it

seems to me that grasping that difference is only one stage on the way
along which later steps are knowing that you know very little and later
still that you understand nothing

there are - to me - unacceptable versions of this eg that a good poem has
to be laid down like wine and you cant tell for years re quality etc etc

and more overtly political versions

BUT they are per_versions of it, I think...

there is a remark by someone about getting to the end of literature... that
was I think out of the kings and queens view of history & referred to
ENGLISH lit & I remember at one time thinking yes, it's true, one can get
to the end of it but there is always another peak if you like the ascent
metaphor or another view or another day and more importantly _the end_
implies that you have seen all that there is to be seen - the selection of
materials known as lit is not stated to be a selection

to that knowing contemporary poetry includes a knowledge of what is hidden
and where and why and THAT implies understanding of mechanisms that may
have very little to do with poetry as poetry

UNDERSTANDING of a poem text performance whatever is perhaps being able to
give - from yourself - a useful context for what one knows... and THAT
leads on to realising AGAIN that you don't know enough

- and the context is not only poetical whatever that means but of necessity
social and political and one comes to understand that poetry is not to be
separated from the social / political -

and yet remaining responsive rather than aggressive or panicked or confused
- seems to me that too often poems are lauded because they are RECOGNISABLE
as if all the learning had been done and the rest is revisiting - when
silence is preferable often - the "Poetry Please" of Radio 4 kind of thing

Lawrence