Forwarded message:
From:     Self <SAMSON/LYAAZ>
To:       John Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:  Re: Innovation contra acceleration
Date:     Fri, 21 Nov 1997 13:59:05

I agree very much with John's reservations about Virilio - he (PV) is
strangely unreflective in his diatribe against acceleration - as if
it were not possible to identify a problem well but still think about
it in a less than satisfactory way. His own writing seems strangely
headlong and impulsive itse;f - it offers no "delay time" in what I
have seen of it. His motto seems to be "if you must warn, keep to the
speed of the traffic yourself". John Kerrigan in his review in LRB
a month or so ago makes a similar criticism about poverty as a
deceleration. It's not that Virilio is unaware of this, rather I
suppose he fears than an impoverished "duration" whether economic or
cultural is doubly poor in that it simply is no longer able to
intervene. His own intervention remains problematic and faddish
though. Perhaps he makes us think again of the old dualism of motion
as spirit and mass as body, but with the variables much inter-
exchanged.
Peter

Peter Larkin
Philosophy & Literature Librarian