On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Lawrence Upton. wrote:
> Keith Tuma wrote
> <<and sometimes gratutitously exhibitionist in its display of erudition.>>
> of EM
> > i want to say how wrong i think this business of _gratutitously
> exhibitionist_.. i dont recognise it and i have read all that's published
> as far as i know

- it's odd: I do recognise the symptom Keith refers to, or I can see how
it might strike one thus, but I don't think Eric would. I think Eric wrote
with what he lived with - and he lived with all kinds of information,
fact, writing, music, art, practical culture etc as well as a wide range
of friends, associates etc : all of which/whom come to play their
legitimate part in his life/work. Erudition? I get tired of having to
apologise for the twopenn'th of information I carry anyway: I'd rather be
baffled by something I don't know than live amongst the know-nothings.

> <<Peterjon Skelt also suggested that EM's poetry needed to be heard; I
> can't speak to that.>>
>
> I would agree with that and, to address the second half of the quote, would
> say that it is ALWAYS best to hear the poet reading if that is possible

- well yes: but that doesn't help those who don't/can't, who are getting
more numerous every day. EM's work *does* stand up on the page on its own,
if you let its curious bluntness come to you, and are prepared to "Stand
up and use your ears like a man" (Charles Ives to a critic, in times when
such sexism went unchallenged)(I've got a feeling I've quoted that before
- its's a favourite of mine. Sorry).

RC