Dear Robert,

Parts of Zukovsky's A Test of Poetry, which has some of the clearest and
most inspiring POETRY-based ways of coming to poetry I've been able to use
with students.

I also like to use other On-poetry works by poets such as Sir Philip
Sydney's Defence of Poetry, Edith Sitwell's A Poet's Notebook, and
Veronica Forrest-Thomson's Poetic Artifice for the more sophisticated.
Conversely, Kenneth Koch has a children's poetry writing book which is not
too unsophisticated for most students either.  I forget what it's called.
Something with an apple.  I am also foolish enough to constantly throw all
my favourite books to students then agonise at my actions till I get them
back, but they do pay a great deal of attention to works they know I
value.  Is it because I force them to memorize?
Fiona