Yes, interesting point. I've noticed this here. I've assumed it to
be the result of urban "spread" - or more to the point, the
difficulty of creating demarcation lines between the urban and rural
in England especially (not so much Scotland or Wales or Ireland...?)
Thing is though, people tell me that despite the "urbanisation" of
rural spaces here the "rural" still well and truly remains a state
of mind. Don't be fooled by the excess houses in the photograph,
when there's a blacksmith's shop or a tractor etc etc then it's
"rural"! Don't know. In Australia the demarcations - both physically
and nostalgically - are more defined. Though a "rural" photograph
usually includes elements of "industrial" (and consequently urban???)
intrusion in the form of tractors, metal silos, steel fence posts
and so on. And an old wagon wheel. And a decaying stone house.

Sorry for digressing, yet again. Oh, I'd like to see some of those
pieces for consideration re Salt some time.

Best
JK