Paul Mackintosh wrote (among other things):

<<  -- YVES BONNEFOY
<< [France's greatest living poet, and Professor of Comparative Poetics at
<< the College de France]

<< Since people seem to be taking offence to my explanatory note for Yves
<< Bonnefoy's name in my puff for my book, ...

I feel offended but not as a Francophone. There is no justification
in using superlatives for poets, either living or dead. Don't they
stand each on their particular place, not in a line ? Well, maybe
there is a point if they praise your work superlatively...

Yves Bonnefoy is an interesting, aged, living poet, published alive in
the famous Nrf Poesie pocket collection. He has a precise and yet suggestive
language, he is open to foreign cultures and languages, but time
will tell if there are no other living (but yet ill-known) french poets
with no convenient institutional position and tribune who will eclipse Y.B..

He wrote also:

<< So if a regular writer for the TLS (who SHOULD know better, for God's
<< sake) doesn't know who Yves Bonnefoy is, who can tell?

Who should know better ? Certainly the Editor in Chief of the TLS who should
better select his collaborators.

Olivier Gerard

Editor in Chief
Quadrature
French Mathematics Quarterly   <[log in to unmask]>