Hello there

Although I'm not visually impaired I work with students who are blind and
visually impaired, all of whom are using the internet, email etc etc.

Have you looked at the GUISPEAK list? This is run by and for people with
visual impairement and deals with access issues. Also, the JFW list (Jaws
for Windows is one of the most widely used access packages for Windows) is
useful and lively(!)

I think you can subscribe to GUISPEAK by sending a message to

with the message

subscribe guispeak yourname

The Jaws for Windows list is an independent list run by Jaws users. Have a
look at their home page at

http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~nallan/jfw/index.shtml

There is much activitity in making e-texts as accessible as possible for
people with visual impairment - adobe are actively working on access to PDF
files (see http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/acrobat/accesswhitepaper.html),
Microsoft are still producing all sorts of info about accessibility. The US
Govt have just issued instructions for all people hoping to market their
software in US Schools and Colleges that they must make their packages
accessible to people with disabilities, or to place hooks in the software in
order that assistive technology devices or packages can adapt them.

Hope that's useful. By the way, what's an AB?

Ian Francis    [log in to unmask]
Technical Adviser
Service for students with disabilities
University of Central Lancashire