Hello all,

Just picking up on the latest thread about dissemination of disability
statements.  Don't forget that we (Lancaster University Careers Service)
have offered to electronically publish everyone's statement on our
national Web site for disabled university students, 'CANDO', as detailed
in the August 1996 HEFCE circular .  Although CANDO generally deals with
careers and employment issues, we are willing to host all the statements
since many students make a career transition to postgrad studies, and
would be interested in finding out about the facilities available before
they make their applications.

Furthermore, we hope that by having all of the statements in one place
like this, it will assist students to compare the varying levels of
provision at universities, and, just as important, help the Disability
Advisers to easily benchmark their own universities' performance against
the national scene, and use this information to help convince their
management to improve provision.

All the universities will soon be receiving a message from Richard
Townend (HEFCE) with regard to how to place the statements on the CANDO
Web site.  For those of you who have already inquired from us as to what
format we require, here is a sneak preview, below.

Best wishes,

Shelley Willson
Lancaster University

Disability Statements - Electronic Publication on the CANDO web site
The disability statements should include:

1.  The text of the statement.

This should be the same statement that was sent to HEFCE, contained on a
PC-formatted disk.  It should preferably be marked up in HTML format, in
order for the statement to appear as the university desires.  However,
if this not possible, then a PC disk with text (ASCII, any version of
Word, or other major word processing packages) is an alternative.

2.  Contact Details

Please include with the disk:
 - contact details in the event that CANDO staff have questions about
format, etc.
 - e-mail addresses (if applicable) for this person, and the Disability
Adviser (if different).
 - Web addresses for the university's main Web site, as well as its
Disability Office Web site, if applicable.  These will be listed
alongside the statements for the convenience of prospective students who
are browsing the site to compare universities.

3.  University Logos, or Photos to include alongside text (Optional)

As the Web is a multimedia, logos and photos can also be included, and
will enhance the look of the statements.  They should be sent on the PC
disk in .gif or .jpeg format.   Please include a caption for all photos
(in writing, or in separate files on disk), and, if they must be placed
in a certain part of the text, specify where.

Any queries, and the statements, should be addressed to:

CANDO Information Service
Careers Service
Lancaster University
Bailrigg, Lancaster