> Ian, I don't think the developers have considered transportability.
>

> > This seems a bit long winded! Isn't there any easier way? If users are being
> > trained onsite they'll need to easily update their voice files when they get
> > home. I wonder if the vocabulary manager be used to do this job.
> >
> > Ian Francis
> > :
> > : Set up the user on the new machine using the same user name as was
> > : used on the original machine.  Look in the sub directory in which
> > : Dragon was loaded, ...  If you zip the subdirectory onto floppy disks it
> > will take two.
> > :
> > :
> > : > Dear all,
> > : >
> > : > Can you help - again
> > : >
> > : > Is it possible to transfer an individual's Dragon "voice file" from one
> > pc
> > : > to another eg. where someone is using a desktop and portable pc.

The problem with copying the users voice files are that the are big
to fit onto single high density floppy disks. In Dragon help files it
says the following.

1. Copy all of the files in the directory \DDWIN\username\CURRENT
(where username is your DragonDictate user name) to floppy diskettes.

Note  If you installed DragonDictate in a directory other than \DDWIN,
supply that directory name in place of \DDWIN.  The files in this
directory occupy more space than a single floppy diskette.  Use
the PKZIP compression utility (available as shareware) or the DOS
BACKUP command to get these files onto multiple floppy diskettes.

2. On the computer that you are copying files to, create a set of user
files with the exact name as the user name on the original computer.

3. On the computer that you are copying files to, delete all files
from the directory \DDWIN\username\CURRENT (where username is your
DragonDictate user name).

4.Copy all files from the floppy diskettes you created in step 1 into
the directory \DDWIN\username\CURRENT to the other computer.

This as has been said already, can be a awkward. You could use Zip
or jazz drives to transfer the voice files without the need for
compression but then you would need the student to have the Zip/Jazz
drives as well.

We tend to do the training in the students home as this tends to
alleviate problems that can caused by different spec's of machines,
different soundcards and different microphones that you and the
students may have have.
Graham Rice, Technician

Computer Centre for People with Disabilities
University of Westminster
72 Great Portland Street
London W1N 5AL

** The London & South East Regional Access Centre **

Tel: +44 171 911 5000 Fax: +44 171 911 5162 http://www.wmin.ac.uk/ccpd/