Dear All,
I sent the following message to Dave Laycock instead of the list as a
whole (hit the reply button without checking mailer's address - I
hadn't had my first dose of caffeine). So am
attaching my question and his reply. Does anybody else have any
comments?
Yours,
Karin
====
> What about visually impaired people? Does anybody have any procedures
> for helping them?
Did you mean to send this to me only? Since partially sighted people
can hear the alarm bells they are particularly among those it is
worth rehersing the processes with. I toyed with the idea of having
reflecting paint strips around exit door frames which would show up if
smoke was beginning to build up. It is probably important to stress
the need for them to inform the reception desk, or library reception
where they are or intend to be. Otherwise it helps to know whether
they going to be in a public space or on their own.

It isn't easy and there can be complications with the best solutions.
For example, it seems obvious that you could put flashing lights for
deaf people over exit door frames for partially sighted people. But
if you do then the deaf people will almost certainly not see them!

Dave Laycock MBE

Head of CCPD, Chair of NFAC
Computer Centre for People with Disabilities
University of Westminster
72 Great Portland Street
London W1N 5AL

tel. 0171-911-5161