 Heath Boffey said:

> As for MMX processors, if you are recommending these for students, can
> you really justify the extra stlg50 or so over the cost of the standard
> Pentium for the majority of cases? For standard WP there will be little
> improvement. Multimedia applications may be improved if the software
> supports MMX, but I think that MMX is more likely to be games oriented
> in the immediate future. In two years time it will probably be standard,
> but I don't feel that I can claim that it's essential for the majority
> of students (if any) at this moment. We're back to the need vs want
> argument.

All the current voice input systems claim to make use of MMX to
improve performance.

Mary Eld said:

>What is MMX about? - sorry but I'm not much of a techno wizard.

MMX - MultiMedia eXtensions - the processor incorporates extra
instructions to do tasks that are a regular feature of multimedia
(Video, sound etc.) more efficiently.

Paul Dilley, Technical Manager
Computer Centre for People with Disabilities, University of Westminster
** The London & South East Regional Access Centre **

Tel: +44 171 911 5000 Fax: +44 171 911 5162 http://www.wmin.ac.uk/ccpd/