Since this discussion is being discussed openly I feel  I should like to
contribute 'in the open'. I should like to congratulate Alison Courtney
and her colleagues for withstanding the gruelling grilling which has
enabled them to be in an advisory position to Devon re; their students
, however as one who has fought for two terms for a Devon student with
an additional disability I sometimes wonder at the usefulness of (pardon
the expression) 'cosy local arrangements'.  I should add here that we have
an excellent relationship with our local education authority but I hope that
this does not mean that they will only respond to what Nottingham Trent
would recommend, that would be entirely counter-productive.  LEA officers
are human beings, I know, I met one once, and yes they do have an extremely
difficult job, but one does form the opinion that they are paying for
students support out of their own pockets and that they are doing the student
a great favour.  We are talking about people's rights here, not a charitable
hand-out.

Sorry to get so hot under the collar!  There are some LEA's who are definitely
applying their own interpretation to the 'guidelines'offered by DfEE, similarly
this is not helpful and should be challenged, wherever I have felt there was
dispute likely I have copied any correspondence to Skill and the DfEE, I know
that neither organisation is able to act in independent cases, but I want the
LEA concerned to know that I believe I am acting legitimately and feel that
they are not.

There is no 'quick' answer to this hardy perennial.  The other suggestion
made about inviting LEA officers to Skill regional meetings is not without
it's problems, Catherine Badminton at UClan if you are reading this could
you please chip in here with your experience ?

WE, as institutes of Higher Education have to ensure that we are accountable
and that we are making legitimate claims on behalf of Disabled Students, LEA's
may then grow to trust us, which they should.

I should like this discussion to continue openly but would be happy to
correspond privately with any individuals wanting to 'check out' anything
I have said above.

Thanks for reading

Chris Baxter
The Nottingham Trent University