Date:          Thu, 4 Dec 1997 16:56:07 BST
To:            cris cheek <[log in to unmask]>
Cc:            [log in to unmask]
Subject:       Re: "70's" type art/music/poetry now?
From:          Ira Lightman <[log in to unmask]>

Ira wrote: "This poetry in the "wordless" is one
of the things I always look for in art, and don't
find in a lot of BritArt..."

I believe I know what you mean, Ira, and I agree with the sentiment,
but my point, to which you were responding, can`t let me subscribe
(yet) to the terms you use...  You had talked about music, which has
a syntax and therefore could be regarded as "like poetry" (similar
to, but not) - then you seem to conflate music and visual arts under
the rubric "wordless" as if painting too has its "poetry" [this could
be true, I`m willing to be convinced, but I can`t bring myself to say it,
 out of respect for painting]."Poetry IN the `wordless`", you reach in
 and find it, given.  What about poetry AT or
TO or AGAINST the wordless, where face-to-canvas with the mute object
 you`re talking to yourself again?

robin