I've been waiting for some kind of a decision on the core elements and
format of DC before I start using it, but in the recent flurry of posts
several people have mentioned that they or others are using DC
already. This got me wondering if these people were including DC-style
metadata in their documents in preparation for the future, or if there
were actually search engines available now that can make use of metadata
in the DC format.

In other words, if I start using DC now, can it replace
the meta tags like "description" and "keywords" (that I have been using
mainly for the benefit of search engines like Alta Vista and InfoSeek), or
will I have to include both, at least for a while?  I guess this is more a
search engine question than a DC question, but if anyone has the answer,
I'd like to hear it (see it?).

Diane

Diane Madrigal
New York State Library