Date:          Sun, 01 Dec 1996 16:20:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:          [log in to unmask]
Subject:       New member: Frans van Liere
To:            [log in to unmask]

My name is Frans van Liere. I obtained my Ph.D. at the University of
Groningen (NL), and presently I teach history and religion at the College
of Charleston, SC (USA). My interests are primarily in the history of
medieval exegesis, focussing on the twelfth-fourteenth centuries. I
edited Andrew of St Victor's commentary on Samuel and Kings for the
Corpus Christianorum, continuatio mediaevalis. Other areas of expertise
include the Avignon papacy, scholastic theology (I did some reaserch
on the conflict about the Beatific Vision years ago)., and
Jewish-Christian relations in the Middle Ages.
I am currently doing research on developments in exegesis in the
schools, from c. 1150 - 1300.

Dear Frans,

I am currently doing some work on Gerson's critique of Ruusbroec, in
which he (Gerson) makes a number of references to earlier disputes
about the Beatific Vision (especially to what he takes to be
condemnations of certain positions adopted by unnamed parties at the
Council of Vienne).  All this is beyond my range of knowledge, and I
wondered if you have any leads that might be useful to me, either in
your own work on this, or in that of others.  I'd be grateful for
anything useful, and can be got off-list at [log in to unmask]

Many thanks,

Denys Turner
University of Birmingham (England)

Frans van Liere

College of Charleston               0 Bee Street
Charleston SC 29424                 Charleston SC 29403
tel. (803) 953-8103                 (803) 723-4051
fax  (803) 953-6349