     The Society for Medieval Feminist Scholarship hopes to sponsor several
sessions at the 1998 American Historical Association meeting in Seattle.

	Proposals for complete panels (three papers, moderator, commentator)
are preferred.  Please send one copy each to Ruth Karras, Department of
History, Temple University, 913 Gladfelter Hall, 1115 W. Berks St.,
Philadelphia, PA 19122, fax (215) 204-5891, and Mary Suydam, History
Department, Seitz House, Kenyon College, Gambier, OH 43022, fax (614) 427-5762
by FEBRUARY 1, 1997.  Proposals must include abstracts of the papers, a
rationale for the panel, and CV's for each participant.  AHA rules strongly
encourage panels in which the participants are not all of the same gender.
Panelists who are historians must be members of the AHA, although "colleagues
from other disciplines" need not be.  Anyone who appears on the AHA program in
1997 in any capacity is ineligible.

	Although we prefer that complete panels be submitted, we are happy to
put interested parties in touch with each other, and suggest that this list
might be a good place for discussion of what might be good panels.  We suggest
several possibilities:  a session focused on the work of a major scholar
(similar to the one planned for the 1997 conference on the work of Caroline
Bynum); a session on gendering history courses.  A session on Gendering the
Survey in 1996 was extremely well-attended; a subsequent session for 1998 might
be "Gendering European History" with panelists representing medieval, early
modern, and modern history, or "Gendering Medieval Studies" with broader
geographic representation.

	For more information please contact Ruth
([log in to unmask]) or Mary ([log in to unmask])