Would some kind soul (or colleague) please cross-post this message onto
other medieval history lists, esp. medieval French history? I'd be very
grateful indeed. (When I posted it on 'medieval religion' I had zero

G.D.

In R. Fossier, *Peasant Life in the Medieval West* (trans. J. Vale)
(Oxford, 1988), p.46, the author describes peasant movements, which I see
as primarily religious movements or popular crusades--even though some do
go on to become riots, anticlerical and antisemitic massacres, etc.--as
"jacqueries"; he says:

'There were many such movements all over Europe in the mid-thirteenth
[sic!] century, in the south of England, Flanders, Picardy, Champagne,
Swabia, Limagne, the Vivarais, the Toulousain, Catalonia and Tuscany--the
"Pastoureaux", the "Enfants", the "Capuchonnes", the "Statutari" and many
others...'

Now, I know a wee bit about the others--but who were the STATUTARI?

They may not belong to 'the mid-thirteenth century' at all, because NONE of
the others, with the single exception of the "Pastoureaux" of 1251, do
(e.g. not the "Pastoureaux" of 1320!). I don't recall the French edition
carrying any notes at this point, but I may be wrong.

Gary Dickson
University of Edinburgh