A few weeks ago I discussed the issue of natural language with respect to
meta tagging and content.  Following is a message on another list which
begins to touch on the issue, though not quite as I described it.  --pg
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 16:41:07 -0600 (CST)
From: Public-Access Computer Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Search Engines Which Know French
Sender: Public-Access Computer Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list PACS-L <[log in to unmask]>

Please respond directly to the author, not PACS-L.  Thanks, Linda
*-----

From: Jack Kessler <[log in to unmask]>

Hi PACS-L,

I would like very much to receive suggestions as to free / downloadable /
simple Website search engines which can read French well. I would like to
find things which will accept any one of the three,

        Acheres or Ache`res or Ach=E8res

(that last is a French "e / accent grave" in case it gets garbled here)
and in each case find the full set,

        (Acheres or Ache`res or Ach=E8res)

I am experimenting with a few solutions now, but all of them have
problems.  Recommendations -- sites, addresses -- will be much
appreciated.

Jack Kessler, [log in to unmask]

     * FYI France (sm)(tm) Online Service
     | Internet Training and Consulting
     | email:  [log in to unmask]
     | fax:=09415 - 824 - 1072
    / \phone:=09415 - 282 - 4850 (messages)
   -----postal: PO Box 460668 =20
  //   \\ San Francisco, California
---------USA  94146
//       \\W3:http://www.fyifrance.com

Peter Graham     [log in to unmask]     Rutgers University Libraries
169 College Ave., New Brunswick, NJ 08903  (908)445-5908; fax(908)445-5888
               <URL:http://aultnis.rutgers.edu/pghome.html>