Peter Biller wrote:

> Esther certainly has the phrase right;  and Caesarius also refers to Jews being 'inmundi corpore';
> there is also a slightlky later vernacular parallel among German versions of Berthold of
> Regensburg's sermons, 'ein stinkender Jude' [I give both refs in a footnote to an article on views of
> Jews which I published in The Church and the Jews, ed D. Wood, Studies in Church History, p. 188
> nn. 6 & 8]

The line in Caesarius is: "Ecce iste est foetor quem sensi" (ed.
Strange, vol. 1, p. 96). It's only "iudaicus" by implication (i.e.
the girl refers to her parents), that's what I meant.

To continue Esther's and Peter's line, a number of Passion tracts from
the later middle ages mention that the Jews spat at Jesus "with their
stinking spittle" (met hoeren stinckenden spijkel). Where does this
derive from? Many of the tracts quote "Bernardus", but I wouldn't
want to take that at face value.

With best regards,

Christoph