> Dublin Core Classic has to my mind support for most of the metadata that
> Searchers typically wish to search Indexers for and that is likely to be
> provided by Providers.  IMHO this is a done deal now and we just need to
> get the tools into people's hands to get them using it.  With companies
> like Bunyip and SoftQuad in on this bandwagon, and individuals already
> having code that is revved up and ready to go, that shouldn't be _too_
> difficult.  But we've got to say "OK, v1 of Dublin Core is now stable and
> frozen" so that people will actually feel comfortable making a commitment
> to use it.  I reckon we're more or less ready now and if we don't do it
> soon then someone will just come along and do it for us.

Jon is, as usual, right here...  ;-)

I know of several large groups of people who are raring to go with
Dublin Core, but are put off when I have to admit that the whole
thing could change tomorrow...

Real people are actually trying to use this thing now, so it's no
longer a theoretical construct for us to talk about. We need to agree
FAST on something that can be formalised and used for real out in the
community.

If we want to, we can then start tinkering towards Dublin Core 2,
safe in the knowledge that Dublin Core 1 is out there doing some
good.

Paul

  Paul Miller
  Graphics & GIS Advisor, University Computing Service
  University of Newcastle, Claremont Tower, Claremont Road, Newcastle
  upon Tyne NE1 7RU.    tel (0191) 222 8212/8039, fax (0191) 222 8765

  e-mail [log in to unmask]        WWW http://www.ncl.ac.uk/~napm1/
       [log in to unmask]         http://www.ncl.ac.uk/~ngraphic/