John Kunze wrote:
| > From: Terry Allen <[log in to unmask]> > Date: Fri, 29 Nov 1996
| > I certainly want to retain Identifier, and even though I constantly
| > mistype it as "Indentifier" the name is not unclear to me, certainly
| > not in the context of a bibliographic record and if subclassed
| > as, e.g., Scheme=URN.
|
| The name Identifier is clear to me too.  If you'd like to address my
| reasons for wanting to rename it, please see the original message below.

I find it unconvincing.

| To summarize, the name Identifier is naive.  First, it suggests that all
| things of type identifier _in the entire record_ go here.  But the

It doesn't suggest that to me.  Have you found users to be confused
in this manner?

| Relation element also holds things of type identifier, as might a future
| RightsStatement or Abstract element, or any number of elements pointing
| to Warwick Framework packages.  Second, large legacy systems already use
| the name Identifier for a very different purpose (ie, unique record key).

A different usage than the suggestion you made at the outset of the paragraph.

| Why create needless obstacles to their embracing the DC?

Relation uses the concept Identifier for a different purposes, and
as a qualifier, not as content.  The Identifier element can be clearly
defined as an Identifier of the thing described by the DC record.  It's
been used that way, too.  If the problem is that there is no place in
DC for an identifier of the DC record, that's another matter.  Do
you want to add an element for that purpose?

Medline's UI would be an Identifier with Scheme=Medline.UI.  There is
no obstacle here; and you cannot entirely avoid using common semantics
that may mean somewhat different things in other systems.  That
doesn't mean that DC:Identifier need be confused with Legacy:Identifier.

If the three uses of the concept "identifier" in DC are not in synch,
something needs to be renamed.  But they don't seem to be.  If renaming
is desired to avoid confusion among those uses, I would much prefer
RelationIdentifier, etc.

Regards,
Terry Allen