I have a sense of deja vu!  Did we not air much the same debate (about
being in or out of the RGS) early this year?  I welcome new suggestions -
like exploring GA membership.  As Adam makes very clear there are no simple
answers about just when it is appropriate to join or resign from an
organisation like the RGS.  There are dangers in staying in, there are
dangers in staying out.  I'm not convinced that it matters as much as Adam
and Chris suggest.  Speaking personally, I've never been a member of the
RGS and I'm certainly not (yet) moved to join, but I don't rule that out
forever.  I am going to the annual conference anyway.  I left the old IBG
for a number of reasons including the fact that I felt drained and
despondent after several years of organising within it.  I'm more than
happy for others to take up the baton and work for change within the RGS.
But there isn't much point (as far as I can see) in being a 'sleeping'
member.  So for those of us like me who would, at this time, do sweet f.a.
inside (because my personal priorities lie elsewhere), it makes more sense
to be outside.
Liz Bondi