aspirations and culture of much of the 'old' RGS and many members of the IBG,
Pyrs Gruffudd wrote last week that he is considering again the option of
leaving the RGS.  Although this strategy has been pursued by quite a few
readers of the Critical Geography Forum - and one which I actively considered
over the RTZ incident a couple of years ago - I think that the implications
of this action need to be fully thought through.

When any organisations merge, there are always major cultural clashes and it
was inevitable that politicised academics would find the highly establishment
ethos of the ROYAL geographical society to be alien (and vice versa).
 However,  since the merger took effect, the influence of the 'new' fellows
has led to changes in the RGS which would have been unthinkable before.
 While we will probably lose the Shell vote, that it is taking place at all
is symbolically importnat in such an establishment organisation and the new
ethics policy of the RGS is also significant.  I'd stop far short of saying
that the RGS will become the type of organisation I'd always be happy being a
part of, but the nature of civil society is surely that we are all
contributors to/ members of institutions we only partially like.  (I don't
like paying taxes for nuclear weapons but don't believe in opting out of
specific taxes because of the dangers of the right adopting similar
strategies.  I hate the car culture but drive a car. I'm a member of USS
which invests my pension fund in 'ethically challenged' companies ...)  In
that context, we should work to make organisations better (and I know that
this is the classic call of the bourgeois reformist).  The more 'critical'
voices that stay in the RGS, the more likely the RGS is to respond to calls
for change.

I'm also concerned that there are real losses for others from an eviscerated
RGS.  People with established careers and reputations may not notice it, but
the losers from a dwindling critical academic presence in the RGS would seem
to me to be younger researchers and postgraduates who benefit enormously from
meeting people at conference, research group meetings and other informal
'do's organised via the RGS.  Of course, the annual conference will continue,
but its rationale begins to disappear if research groupings (out of the RGS)
organise their meetings at other times and the most research active don't
bother to attend.  The outcome will be that postgraduates suffer and we all
increasingly talk to people whose views are closer and closer to our own -
which is hardly very critical.  The ridiculous outcome could be that the only
time generic human geographers from UK universities come together would be as
representatives of the largest geographic delegation to the AAG

Although I agree with Pyrs that there are real issues about "who journals
 (especially "Transactions" and "Area") `belong to'" which go far beyond the
formal legal ownership of the RGS, it remains true that journals need to pay
for themselves.  The classic problem of unregulated liberal capitalism is
that of the free rider - where collective goods are consumed by people who
won't/don't  pay for them.

If all this sounds like the ravings of a liberal state theorist, its because
I strongly believe that when we talk about 'struggle', it means effecting
change rather than opting out.  Comments and rotten eggs welcome.

Adam Tickell
Department of Geography
University of Manchester