I am in the process of polishing my dissertation and have discovered
an area
which needs more research. I would appreciate any suggestions for
sources
regarding 12th century (preferably  British) attitudes towards the
following:
      madness as indicative of sin
      excessive grief as a sin
      illness as indicative of sin
Please feel free to reply privately so as not to clog the list.
Thanks in advance!     Ginger

Ginger Rudd                  [log in to unmask]

Both madness and illness as indicative of sin are delightfully
illustrated in the stained glass of Canterbury Cathedral, madness
often being cured by a visit to Becket's relics, illness, and even
death, often visited upon those who do not show sufficient gratitude
for the saint's help.  The Becket windows are based on vitae written at
Canterbury in the late 12th-century