Today, 8 October, is the feast of...

Holy Simeon (first century): The old man present in the temple at Jesus'
presentation.

Pelagia the Penitent (?): Actress of Antioch, converted and baptized by St
Nonnus, after which she put on men's clothes and went to live as a hermit,
'Pelagius, the beardless monk'.

Thais (?): Egyptian courtesan, converted by St Paphnutius, who locked her
in a cell for three years, facing the east and repeating 'Thou who hast
created me, have pity on me'; she died 15 days after leaving the cell.

Reparata, virgin and martyr (?): At age 12, thrown into a fire by Romans,
where she stood unharmed and sang God's praises until removed and beheaded.

Demetrius, martyr (?): Cult centred in Salonika, where miraculous oil
exuded from his relics and where known as 'Megalomartyr' (the great
martyr); significant medieval cult as patron of soldiers.

Keyne, virgin (sixth century): Venerated in south Wales and west England -
lived as virgin in Keynsham (just outside the wonderful city of Bristol),
and turned snakes she saw into stone.

Carolyn Muessig