*****  A chance to get Social Science Journals and Books put on the Internet  *****

Some money has been made available to make digital copies of important scholarly
 texts so that they can be disseminated to the academic community via the Internet.

Suggestions are sought from UK social scientists for texts that should be digitised.
 If you have ideas about journals or books that should be selected for digitisation
 please contact SOSIG  (The Social Science Information Gateway).  We will collate
suggestions from the social science community and present them to eLib (The
Electronic Libraries Programme, funded by the JISC) who are running the project.

The eLib Programme Director, Chris Rusbridge writes:

"We are beginning to set up mechanisms for the selection of material to be digitised
as part of our national programmes.  However, these mechanisms will take time to
put in place and to got through their selection processes.  We have therefore
decided on a fast track selection process for initial material, and as a matter of
urgency are soliciting suggestions for material which might be rapidly copyright
cleared and digitised, and which will be of lasting value to higher education.

In general, we are looking for suggestions which will add value to some other work:
 for example, digitising back-runs of journal materials which parallel electronic
versions are beginning to become available, in order to increase the value of the
 electronic resource, or digitising further material to add to a corpus in a particular
 field, etc.

Our hope is that we will be able to negotiate access to be free at the point of use
in UK Higher Education.  We would expect to mount the material in such a way as
 to restrict access from outside this community; we have a good track record for
achieving this.  Other exploitation of the digitised material, such as international or
 commercial rights, would be a separate issue, and could remain with the copyright
 holder or be assigned to some other body as agreed.  A licence controlling access
 to the material; will be developed."

eLib will need to assess the likely impact that the digitisation project could have
and would consequently need to know:

-   to what group of scholars is the collection important and why (who is likely to
 use it);
-  how the collection's availability in electronic form would enhance scholarly work
 in the relevant areas;
-   what complimentary digital collections exist (or are in preparation) and how the
proposed collection would add value to them.

THE eLib DEADLINE FOR SUGGESTIONS IS 30th OCTOBER 1996

Please mail your suggestions to SOSIG as soon as possible, so that we can get
 them to eLib before this date.  The email address is:

Emma Worsfold

(Apologies for cross-posting this message)

Emma Worsfold
DESIRE/SOSIG Research Officer

ILRT,University of Bristol
8 Woodland Road, Bristol BS8 1TN