Today, 25 September, is the feast of...

Firmin, bishop and martyr (4th century): True identity is unclear. Was
probably a missionary bishop in Gaul.

Cadoc, abbot (575): Miraculously relived a famine by the discovery of an
unknown store of wheat.

Aunacharius or Aunaire, bishop of Auxerre (605): Zealous for discipline in
his diocese, Aunacharius forbade Christians to use churches for dancing
and to sing ribald songs. Nor were the people in his diocese to dress
themselves up as stags or calves on New Year's day, or to make vows before
"holy" bushes, trees and wells, or to practice sympathetic magic.

Finbar, bishop (633): Upon this death, the sun did not set for a fortnight.

Ceolfrid, abbot of Wearmouth (716): Abbot during Bede's time. Bede writes:
"I was ordained deacon in my nineteenth year, and priest in my thirtieth,
receiving both these orders at the hands of the most reverend Bishop John
at the direction of Abbot Ceolfrid."

Herman the Cripple, monk (1054): Born in Swabia of the house of Altshausen
in 1013, as a child he entered the abbey of Reichenau on an island of Lake
Constance. Among his works is one of the earliest medieval
world-chronicles, a long unfinished poem on the deadly sins, and a
mathematical/astronomical treatise which begins: "Herman, the rubbish of
Christ's little ones, lagging behind the apprentices of philosophy, more
slowly than a donkey or a slug..." Also crafted astronomical and musical
instruments.

Sergius of Radonezh, abbot (1392): Popular among the people. Sergius spent
most of his monastic time working with the poor and advising monarchs.

Carolyn Muessig