On Thu, 19 Sep 1996 [log in to unmask] wrote:

>      I am not sure if all of this went to the list, so my apolgies if
>      everybody already has this!.
>
>      However, again I may be mistaken but I thought that there were
>      certainly Celts in Rome in roman times as advisors and such like, it
>      would be a surmise that these histories, Virgil, Homer etc, would have
>      permiated across Europe in the intervening years, even though, as you
>      say, it is probably in the writing (and translation) that the essence
>      of the message was written.
>
>      I really would be interested in anyone elses views on this
>
>      David Debono

I'm not sure how relevant this is, but...I'm translating parts of
Sallust's _Catiline Conspiracy_ for my Latin class.  Sallust refers to
Gallic ambassadors in Rome during the time--The Allobroges (I think the
spelling is correct, don't have my books with me.) In any case, it seems
possible.  I tend to view the "they're barbarians and couldn't possibly
have learnt ...(fill in the blank)" attitude as class snobbery.  (this
is not intended as a flame to the original poster!!!)

Becky