To: internet:[log in to unmask]

Thanks for the ref. to the 1993 book on Mary Magdalene.  Might someone be able
to help me with a minor question regarding this saint?  M. Coens identifies a
late 9th-century addition to a litany of Amiens (prob. originally of Corbie)
invoking Mary Magdalene (along with ss. Adelard, Paschase and Precord!).  Now,
I haven't seen the ms., but this dating of the addition doesn't sound right to
me for a number of reasons, not the least of which is my understanding that
Magdalene's cult wasn't really active in France prior to the eleventh century
or so.  I am quite uncomfortable with an invocation of ss. Paschase and
Precord, and even Adelard, in a late ninth-century hand; but are there
precedents for a ninth century cult of Mary Magdalene in N. Francia?

Thanks,
Dave Van Meter