I believe Warwick's concern in his note is closer to my own... who will
manage the evolution and application of the elements, and how?

The IETF is exactly the right place to do the transport syntax... its a
technical problem without technological barriers... it is a discreet
problem, and its pretty much independent of the content.  We just need
some demonstrated applications and consensus (just... heh heh).

Managing the element set is a longer term sort of thing with all sorts
of mushy issues that are not the sorts of things done well in the
IETF.

Problem is, we need an open forum to promote consensus and discussion, and I
don't see good alternatives to the IETF at the moment.  Establishing
a mime type is probably a good idea, but it will change, and there needs
to be a process to manage that change.

I don't really understand your URN-dependency argument, Terry... care
to elaborate?