Oh, sure, Terry... ask the HARD questions.  As if we don't have enough
trouble with the easier ones.

my oversimplification is:

The Dublin Core represents one attempt at what Tom Baker describes as
'pidgin metadata' (the bee interoperability metaphor also works).  It
purports to approach a simple core which is perhaps necessary (or at
least useful), but certainly not sufficient.

The path to sufficiency will require some unspecified number of
additional 'packages' of metadata, and if you don't have a formal spec
for parsing them *AND* understanding the semantics therein, you prolly
don't want to look in the first place, so lets hope there aren't TOO
many of them.

I suspect this is not radically different than what Terry is asking
for?  If the criticism is that we have chosen
yet-another-way-to-skin-the-cat, I'm not sure I can assert otherwise.
The WF is even more vaporous than the DC at this point, so anyone who
can put together a useful system can probably carry the day.  Call it
whatever.  Gee, if Warwick Cathro did it, we could call it the Warwick
Warwick World Wide Web Whereistic.  Or not.

That still leaves the semantics.  Librarians will do MARC and whatever.
MapMavens will do FGDC and whatever.  Museum informaticians will do whatever.