Dear George (and other members),

A slightly belated query about 13 September, the feast of ...
> * Maurilius, bishop of Angers (453)
> 	- a native of Milan; there is a tradition in Angers that he had a
> vision of singing angels on the night of 8 September, inducing him to
> institute the feast of the Birthday of Mary in the diocese there

There also seems to be a story about Maurilius healing a child (or
restoring it to life) - not an uncommon thing to do for saints but
apparently it is the subject of a medieval wallpainting at Angers and
I am very interested in depictions of children in medieval art.
Can anyone give any more details about a miracle by Maurilius
involving a child?

Thank you in advance!

Sophie Oosterwijk
Dept of the History of Art
University of Leicester
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]

PS:  With regard to Amatus or Ame, bishop of Sion in Valais (c. 690),
who would hang up his cloak on a sunbeam - he may have got that idea
from the young Christ who, according to versions of the apocryphal
childhood of Christ, did similarly curious tricks with sunbeams.