I beg the list's forgiveness in advance for this tangental exercise;
if anyone out there in the aether can help, I should be very
grateful. I hope my cluttering up bandwidth does not overly
inconvience the rest of you.

I will be an ex-expatriate next year and am filling in those
odd moments not wasted teaching or writing my thesis by applying for
university teaching jobs back in the States.

Unlike the AHA (shame!), the Chronicle of Higher Education kindly
posts their job adverts on their web page (http://www.chronicle.
merit.edu); the adverts invariably ask for a *dossier* or *placement
file* as well as transcripts.

My first question: under these circumstances, what is a
dossier/placement file? Is there a difference? What goes in them?

My second question: the only transcript I have is from my
undergraduate days in a small town in Indiana. Do they really want
to see that? Both my MPhil and (touch wood) PhD are from British
universities, which don't have the silly things; as my PhD is all
research, there would be nothing to record on a transcript if it did
exist (except, of course, all the stuff I had to do in order to do the
research: Latin, paleography, research methods... as well as the
various classes I sat in on in order to escape the Library -- but no
records were kept). So what do I tell them?

My third question: I take it that the AHA is still the hiring fair
for young mediaeval historians. Correct?

Any advice for a future visiting assitant professor of history would
be welcome; please feel free to reply off the list.

many thanks,

~jon

J. M. B. PORTER
Department of History : University of Nottingham
University Park : Nottingham : NG7 2RD : England
t: + 115 951 3639    f: + 115 951 5948