To add a purely commercial perspective ...

Publishers are missing a golden opportunity (and so are we).  No they
shouldn't lose money on any venture like this.  Nor should we subsidise the
provision by assembling the packs for free or merely to recoup printing
costs.  Our libraries/ information services are extremely stretched to
provide a reasonable basic service to our clients.  Our staff cost ???s and
there is no reason not to make a bit more to ensure that the service can
continue to be provided in year 2.

Publishers lose because students are standing in front of photocopiers.  The
only benefit they get from these queues is that we might buy an additional
copy of the text book to replace the one photocopied to destruction.  They
could gain by letting us bring together material from say 5 texts.  No
student will buy five, though the library might buy fewer.  The ability to
repackage and sell 50-200 extra copies provides pure profit to the
publishers if they price their product correctly.  Why can't they see this.

Brian Lantz, Assistant Director, Information Services
(and General Manager of UCE Books)
University of Central England, Franchise Street
Birmingham B42 2SU, United Kingdom

Telephone:  (+44)  (0121) 331 5300
Fax:  (+44) (0121) 356 2875
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]