Dear Mmes and Sirs;
I have recently acquired a quite interesting piece of art through my
fatheršs estate.  It has been in my family for many years. The piece is
an icon;  subject:  Madonna and Child, in the early Christian tradition.
The image is painted on a 10 X 14 inch block of carved wood.  The rim of
the icon is raised, creating a self frame with gold leaf.  Halos around
the heads of Madonna and Child show some carving below the paint and
gilt.  The remainder of the painted surface is somewhat irregular,
suggesting hand planing.

A scanned image can be viewed online at:
http://www.frognet.net/~chandler/

Please contact me if you feel that this style, content and material used
suggest a particular era of art history.  I would appreciate any leads
as to persons or institutions who could be of help in determining
approximate age, origin and value of this work.

Many thanks, in advance.

Christine Chandler
 email: [log in to unmask]