I hope you all don't mind a bit of shameless self-promotion here, but
another medievalist at Notre Dame (David Mengel) andmyself are
organizing a session for the 1997 Kalamazoo conference.  We still
have some space left for papers on the topic of:
THE BURIAL OF THE DEAD
"Ceremonies surrounding the burial of the dead are among the oldest
known forms of religious activity.  From prehistoric graves sprinkled
with flowers to the range of options offered by the modern funeral
industry, human beings have devised a vast array of rituals for
treating their dead.  Funerary rites can provide a great deal of
insight into the workings of a given society: its attitudes towards
death, beliefs in an afterlife, ideas about the fate of the soul,
concerns about religious pollution, and expressions of community.
Frederick Paxton, Megan McLaughlin, and others have researched burial
practices and death rituals in medieval Europe, but there are still
some aspects of the topic that remain unexplored.  Papers from any
field of medieval studies are requested."
If this sounds interesting, please send proposals (no more than 250
words) to the following address by September 15th:
Stephen A. Allen
The Medieval Institute
University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN 46556
If you have any questions, you can reach me off-list at: