 I hope Tim hasn't gone to bed yet...it is only 5:30 p.m. where I am,
  and I
> happened to be editing a selection from Symmachus' History of the Patriarchs,
> on the persecutions under Decius and the leadership of Dionysius, Patriarch of
> Alexandria.  In that time, a certain "old man named Metras was seized; and his
> captors said to him 'Wilt thou worship the idols?' But he refused; and so they
> inflicted upon him a painful beating, and wounded his face with styli. Then
> they led him out of the city, and stoned him until he died." [sorry, no chicken
> bones in evidence].
>     For the curious, this is from the Patrologia Orientalis Tome 1
> Fascicule 2, trans B. Evetts (from the Arabic). (Paris: Firmin-Didot, 1948), p.
> 180.  My publisher cannot locate copyrighters for this piece.
>     My translation of Eusebius concerning Metras says they attacked him
> with pointed reeds.
>     So punsters, have at it.  I still have hours of daylight and of work
> ahead of me....
>
> Karen Jolly
> History
> University of Hawai'i at Manoa

I did go to sleep, but it's now morning here in England and "I'm
baaaack..." so on to today's little distraction:

Metras was seized, midst discord,
And asked "wilt thou worship our lord?"
When he protested "Nay!"
He found out the hard way,
That the pen is mightier than the sword.